Addthis

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Purpose of Life - Lost in work!

Few days back I received a call on my mobile from an unknown number. Although I rarely pick such calls but somehow I thought may be it is related to ‘work’ so picked the phone. The lady at the other end stated my name and said that she was calling on behalf of ‘Theater of Community without Hindrance’. She said that there would be a theater show near my place after 20 days and if I wanted to purchase tickets. I told her to call me next morning. Next morning she called at exact time we agreed and provided me some more details. All (and if any) income from the show would be spent to make life better for people with hinderances. I agreed to purchase 2 tickets and asked her if she can send tickets to my place after a week as I am going out of city.

When I was back and the day came, she called me but I was in a meeting with some high ups of the city and had completely forgotten the theater issue. Any how I apologized and said if tickets can be sent next day, to which she said it was her pleasure. I requested to call me again the next day before ticket delivery.

And today I received a call around 09:50 in the morning, a guy was saying that he’ll be bringing the tickets. I was little annoyed because I asked tickets to be delivered by 10 which was at risk now and I felt that voice of the guy was a little rude in my opinion. Any how as time passed I put coffee in my cup and started drinking it slowly, by 11 O’clock the main bell rang and I opened the door. I was waiting at the door and a guy came up.. I looked and guy was younger than me (for sure!) but he had some handicap and was also receiving chemotherapy. My all annoyance simply disappeared. I was victim of the condition related to perception and feeling as mentioned in one of my previous blogs HERE

I took the tickets and made the payment. My mind was at the huge task I was working on and wanted to return to desk. The guy turned back to go and at just that moment I realized how preoccupied I have become with my work during last few years. The guy’s lips were dry as fertile soil is under the burning sun. Then I realized that he had some speech problem also.. he hardly said following, ‘I had to walk 2 miles under sun to give you these tickets and if you are not annoyed can I get a glass of water, even from tap’. 

Man.. I was pitched in to earth what on hell I have been preoccupied with.. I immediately said no issue, let me bring you something to drink. When he drank he said he liked it, it was a traditional drink with rose and other herbs in it. I said no problem and wished him a good luck. He just said thank you and carpets at your home are nice, I said thank you again and closed the door.

I posted the tickets on refrigerator and came back to my desk to resume work. Then something struck me. I said to me, this guy is working under such harsh conditions to make change in life of few and I am such occupied with my own payments and work. He is doing a great job. In the morning I heard at radio show someone saying that ‘duration’ of happy moments in life of most of us has decreased drastically in last 2 decades and I agreed to it!. Then I looked out from window, sun was as bright as it could be and it must have been quite hot there and the guy had to walk back all the way! I could have easily arranged for his drop which I missed.. I took my coffee cup and sipped a little coffee but this time there was no aroma or taste of this wonderful ‘Out of Africa’ Coffee!.

So I need to ask if duration of happy moments have really decreased in our life? and Although we may help people more if we have more money but have we lost the human touch with those who are suffering? 


2 comments:

  1. i like it azhar... a different perspective from your side, nicely captured our callous behavior with no feelings for others. we'll talk, i have few questions, i'll email you.

    shahud r. shami

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know your story encourages others to move on with their life. Keep posting this kind of blog post! The Twelve Universal Laws of Success

    ReplyDelete